Health Equity Matters’ vision is ‘Working together to defeat HIV and new HIV infections in Australia, Asia and the Pacific’.
We provide leadership, coordination and support to Australia’s policy and advocacy response to HIV and internationally we contribute to the development of effective responses to HIV/AIDS, particularly in the Asia-Pacific region.
We do this work in collaboration with our members in accordance with the National HIV Strategy and global directions for the response to HIV.
Our work is directed primarily towards communities where there is a higher prevalence of HIV and groups at greater risk of acquiring HIV.
This includes the groups identified as priority populations in the National HIV Strategy:
- people living with HIV (PLHIV)
- gay men and other men who have sex with men (MSM)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people from high prevalence countries and their partners
- travellers and mobile workers
- sex workers
- people who inject drugs, and
- people in custodial settings.